This page contains some of my TODO items. I guess I will never be able to finish all the work, so I will appreciate your help with any of the items on this page (fixing bugs, answering questions, or implementing features). Please feel free to let me know if you want to work on anything, and I will be happy to assist you.
Looking at these items, you may make a better decision on whether to ask questions on a public forum before emailing me, according to my current status below. Please feel free to email me anyway if you do not need a prompt response, and please forgive my slow response.
At the moment, I have 92 emails in my inbox to be dealt with (the earliest that I have not replied to was from Nov 21, 2018), 0 unread Github issues/PRs, and about 40 tabs open in my browser.
My “official” TODO list is available on Github. Below are some random items.
- new syntax for verbatim inline R expression: https://github.com/rstudio/rmarkdown/issues/1652
- see if I’m able to maintain the apero theme: https://github.com/hugo-apero
- support custom output formats in blogdown: https://github.com/rstudio/blogdown/issues/289
- clean up knitr code in quarto: https://github.com/quarto-dev/quarto-cli/pull/115
- Questions to be answered:
- https://stackoverflow.com/q/68792824/559676 https://github.com/yihui/knitr/issues/2037 relative links in blogdown
- https://stackoverflow.com/q/67853909/559676 Why is the image not rendered?
- https://community.rstudio.com/t/106550 Why shortcode doesn’t work in
.Rmd -> .html
- https://community.rstudio.com/t/106243 How to read a chunk from an external Rmd? Perhaps I need to export the parser from knitr, although there is a parsermd package, which I haven’t taken a close look yet
- xaringan doesn’t refresh with changes in css: https://github.com/yihui/xaringan/issues/301
- Read and probably respond to a few posts related to blogdown:
- https://solomonkurz.netlify.app/post/2021-05-03-blogdown-updates-prompted-a-website-overhaul-these-are-my-notes/ Overhaul a blogdown site
- https://www.jumpingrivers.com/blog/moving-to-hugo-tips-tricks-optimisation/ Hugo tips and tricks
- https://shilaan.rbind.io/post/building-your-website-using-r-blogdown/ A blogdown guide
- https://seth-dobson.github.io/r-blogging-on-a-chromebook/ Need to tell the author that Hugo could be installed inside the website project by setting the global option
- https://clauswilke.com/blog/2020/09/08/a-blogdown-post-for-the-ages/ Not sure if the author knows that blogdown no longer re-knits Rmd posts by default. Similarly, need to double check https://yutani.rbind.io/post/2017-10-25-blogdown-custom/.
- https://sharleenw.rbind.io/2020/09/02/how-to-remake-a-blogdown-blog-from-scratch/ Need to learn more about her pain with blogdown.
- https://portfolio.peter-baumgartner.net/2018/07/19/blogdown-using-themes/ Learn more about his lessons.
- https://drmowinckels.io/blog/2020-05-25-changing-you-blogdown-workflow/ I guess most of her problems have been addressed in the latest version of blogdown, but needs to double check.
- https://www.datalorax.com/post/new-website-theme/ Choosing themes.
- https://www.garrickadenbuie.com/blog/add-a-generated-table-of-contents-anywhere-in-rmarkdown/ TOC
- https://themockup.blog/posts/2020-08-01-building-a-blog-with-distill/ https://werk.statt.codes/post/2021-02-24-hellodistill/ Learn more about distill.
- Max’s SO question on highlighting inline code, which should be solvable via highr.
- Optimize images automatically in blogdown
- Fix relative paths in Hugo’s RSS feeds: https://github.com/rstudio/blogdown/issues/384
- hugo-prose: https://github.com/yihui/hugo-prose/pull/41 and reply to Jared’s meetup invite.
- Scrollama with blogdown/distill: https://github.com/yihui/rolldown/issues/14
- Watch https://resources.rstudio.com/resources/rstudioglobal-2021/
- A possible book: Presentation Ninja (xaringan, ioslides, slidy, revealjs, PowerPoint, beamer, shower, etc).
- A possible book about pagedown and CSS (reply to Lara at C&H).
- A 3rd edition of the knitr book? I’ll need a helper.
- Reply to https://github.com/yihui/rmarkdown-cookbook/issues/215#issuecomment-633148829
- Digest https://github.com/rstudio/distill/issues/152.
This section is cleaned up from time to time.
- Write out tinytex regexes to json: https://yihui.org/tinytex/regex.tar.gz
- litedown (for package vignettes) https://github.com/rstats-gsod/gsod2022/issues/5
- Support HTML widgets in pagedown: https://github.com/rstudio/pagedown/pull/87
- A Hugo theme based paged.js? https://www.pagedjs.org
- A Hugo layout for cards? https://apreshill.github.io/postcard/about.html
- A possible book on small successes. https://www.tiffanymatthe.com/not-extraordinary
- Google doc to Markdown?
- Read Miles’s introduction to drake and include it in the R Markdown Cookbook: https://milesmcbain.xyz/the-drake-post/ (Update: Will said targets would be the new drake, so no need to introduce drake)
- Record a video about CSS selectors for R Markdown users.
If anyone is interested in any of the items below, please feel free to let me know. I’d be happy to explain more, or do a video chat with you.
- Land the xaringan slide page in RStudio Viewer corresponding to the cursor position in RStudio IDE: https://github.com/yihui/xaringan/issues/336
- How can users build and install their own version of TinyTeX? Short answer: install
tlmgrto install the packages they need, zip the TinyTeX installation directory, and publish it somewhere (e.g., Github Releases, or AppVeyor artifacts). To install this custom version of TinyTeX, I’ll need to provide an environment variable to customize the URL in my installation scripts (e.g., not hard-coding yihui.org or github.com/yihui/tinytex-releases in install-bin-unix.sh), so they can be reused by others.
- Introduce the easier way to start a bookdown project using the RStudio IDE in the book: https://github.com/rstudio/bookdown/issues/225
- Build rggobi on r-universe.dev: https://github.com/ggobi/rggobi/issues/7
- More accessibility/navigation tags in
- Generate the Table of Contents for xaringan slides: https://github.com/yihui/xaringan/issues/217
- How to render math expressions without MathJax? https://stackoverflow.com/q/57121846/559676 Alternative methods are listed here: https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#math-rendering-in-html
- The pain of using rmarkdown on network drives: https://github.com/rstudio/rmarkdown/issues/1268
- BibTeX references showing up twice in bookdown: https://github.com/rstudio/bookdown/issues/751
- Make TinyTeX more portable: https://github.com/yihui/tinytex/issues/133
xfun::numbers_to_words()for numbers with decimal places: https://github.com/yihui/xfun/issues/18
- Live code in xaringan: https://github.com/yihui/xaringan/issues/206 The implementation is not totally clear to me, but I imagine users can double click on a code block on a slide to edit the code, and the edit can be sent back to the RStudio IDE or executed.
chrome_print()stops working after a few hundred times
- Loops in R: https://medium.com/@alwinw/are-r-loops-really-that-slow-1bbf46b21fcb https://yihui.org/en/2010/10/on-the-gory-loops-in-r/
- Both TinyTeX and Hugo can be bundled with projects: https://twitter.com/bearloga/status/1440342267949060103
- blogdown vs distill https://twitter.com/PipingHotData/status/1376106167865384963 https://blog.rstudio.com/2021/09/23/curating-for-wearerladies-on-twitter/
- What does it mean to be generous? https://github.com/ropensci/targets/issues/503 I don’t think I’m generous in this case.
- https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2021/05/23/thinking-fast-slow-and-not-at-all-system-3-jumps-the-shark/ https://twitter.com/kjhealy/status/1394729017631285252 Sounds like this new book has got quite a bit of controversy, but I haven’t read it.
- https://atrebas.github.io/post/2020-06-17-datatable-introduction/ https://martinctc.github.io/blog/comparing-common-operations-in-dplyr-and-data.table/
- 这位大人对 knitr 钻研似乎颇深，是个人才，也许可以拉来做点什么事：https://stackoverflow.com/users/2706569/cl
- 黑客与画家 http://idlewords.com/2005/04/dabblers_and_blowhards.htm
- 教养的迷思 https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/4XmMuUV2XbM-UMD4GJGUMQ
- 家庭、私有制和国家的起源 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Origin_of_the_Family,_Private_Property_and_the_State
- Note-taking/todo app https://d.cosx.org/d/419756/10 https://noteplan.co https://everydaycheck.com https://twitter.com/OilGains/status/1085929376741556230
- Stoicism: https://dailystoic.com/letters-from-a-stoic/ https://www.lettersfromastoic.net/letter-4/
- ggplot 灰色背景：https://stats.stackexchange.com/q/25220/10946 https://twitter.com/WilliamsNeuro/status/1318419069968658432
- 为 XD 和邻居架设网站
- JS 生成声音：https://github.com/R4meau/plink-plonk/blob/master/content.js 暂时不知道用它干啥，但感觉要是跟 Shiny 鬼混在一起也许能玩出什么花样来。
- https://twitter.com/Warreningshot/status/1379664918450905089 blogdown 复古主题？
- https://github.com/commit-intl/micro-down 简版的 Markdown JS 库
|周五||下午非紧急邮件、COS + SO 论坛；微博；推特|
另外，每天下班前一小时：查阅 Github 事项、安排第二天工作。晚 11 点后回复微信。